Sunday 11 August 2013

Bobble Border Tutorial



Bobble border....cute as can be, and as simple as can be....I'm big on easy around these parts, simple yet striking, that just about sums it up.

Ok, I've just used a simple granny square as an example, but for now I'm pretending it's a blanket or similar!!  Firstly I'll just show you what a granny square blanket would look like if you didn't put some sort of simple bordering on it before you put your row of bobbles.  It would look like this.




























In my opinion you've lost the visual on the bobble, it seems to have blended into the granny square itself.....It may have something to do with the last row of clusters and the bobbles being the same colour....Never the less, I still think it doesn't work if you're going to be using it on a big project like a blanket where you want the edging to stand out a little....or a lot for that matter!


So from there I went right around the edge of the granny square 4 times with just a simple single crochet stitch (US terminology) for conversion to English crochet stitches see here.  Using a slip stitch to complete the row.  Also don't be limited to a border of single crochet, the bobble stitch will work on any border, I just went for something simple....remember I like simple and easy!





























Next step is to do 1 chain stitch and then after doing this, turn your work around so you have the back of your work facing you as the bobble stitch is worked on the wrong side, as the picture below shows.




























Now the next step below is to single crochet into the same stitch where you have just chained, this is the only time you will work into the same stitch you have just worked.




























Once you have done that then working into the next stitch along through the two top loops do a treble/triple stitch as pictured below.



























And then you end up with the long treble stitch completed and it should look like it does in the next picture.


























From there you then do a single crochet into the next top two loops of the next stitch (not the same stitch, the next stitch along remember), so basically the treble stitch folds backwards on itself and this makes the bobble poke out to the front of your work.





Easy, then back to another treble, single, treble the whole way around your edge.




























If you give it a quick turn over you can see the bobbles forming.



























Continue all the way around using a slip stitch to join your last stitch to where you commenced your first bobble.


























Pretty isn't it?
















































Don't be limited by single colours either.  You can make your bobble edging in another colour.  I simply added yellow into the stitch where I finished the blue, did one yellow chain, turned my work around and did my first single stitch into the same stitch where I did the chain, then my treble....you know the score by now.




























On completion....




























So there you have it.....the bobble border.  I always drop my crochet hook down by half a size when doing a border because I don't like that too wavy too many stitch look, and this square was no different.  Your edging and border may look a little tight, but a good block of your work once pulled and pinned into shape can sort that out.  It also has the added bonus of making your work look soft and drapey and gives it a professional finish.


Hope I made this easy for you.



5 comments:

  1. thanks for this thought I might try it on the blanket I am currently working on :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleasure Amanda, love a bit of blanket making myself, Vx

      Delete
  2. This is a super cute edging and I actually like both versions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it & such a versatile stitch to finish off & add just a bit of elegance to whatever you are making. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, They are all read and very much appreciated. Except for spam, they're reported to blogger and google+ Vicki x